A Check-In is the term used to record or rate a beer. When making a Check-In you can add additional information to your such as, a photo, tasting notes, a rating, the serving style, friends, the location or purchased location and flavor profile(s).
There are a few ways you can begin a Check-In, so you can use whatever way works best for you! Generally speaking any way you can get to a beer page will work, but here are some common ways to begin Check-In:
- Using the Floating Action Button
- Searching from the Discover Tab
- From a Verified Venues menu
- Using the Quick Check-In feature
- Combine this with the "Hide Beer Ratings" setting for a spoiler free experience!
- Scanning a UPC label or QR code
If you are using the mobile web or desktop web pages you can Check-In by searching:
Be sure to finish your Check-in by adding any additional information and tapping "Check-In."
A few things to note:
- You do not need to leave a rating! It's perfectly fine to take a qualitative approach to Checking-In.
- You do not need to fill in "Location" and "Purchased Location" if they are the same spot! "Purchased Location" is intended for places like stores or bottle shops where you take the beer home to drink.
- When you check-in and have enabled your location, your check-ins are geotagged. This gives the ability to add a location to an existing check-in that you may have forgotten or simply want to remove.
- You must be physically near (within 40mi/64km) the venue to add it to a check-in.
- Check out our Supporter Guide for some additional Check-In features!
Using the Floating Action Button
To Check-In using the Floating Action Button simply tap the button on whatever page you are at to start your Check-In. (The Floating Action button is available on all main pages except the map.)
Searching from the Discover Tab
To Check-In using search you'll want to search for the beer from the Discover Tab. Once on the beer page you can tap on "Check-In" start your Check-In.
From a Verified Venues menu
If you are at a Verified Venue you can use their menu to help speed up your Check-In! Simply tap on "Check-In Here" button on their page and then select your beer from their menu to start your Check-In. If you Check-In this way your Location with automatically be added to your Check-In.
Using the Quick Check-In feature
You can Check-In from the search page using our Quick Check-In feature. Tap on the ( ... ) icon on the right of the beer card in search to start your Check-In. This is great if you are backlogging a lot of beers from a recent trip or if you want a spoiler free experience. (Make sure to enable the setting to "Hide Beer Ratings in Search" if that is the case!)
Scanning a UPC label or QR code
To Check-In by scanning a UPC or QR code you'll want to activate the scanner from the Discover Tab. After scanning the UPC or QR Code you will be brought to the beer page where you can start your Check-In. (Note: if we do not have that UPC attached to the beer yet we'll ask you to search for it so we can match that beer and barcode together.)
To Check-In on the mobile web you'll want to expand the left side panel and search for the beer. Once on the beer page you can start your Check-In by tapping the "Check" button.
To Check-In on the desktop web you'll want search for the beer. Once on the beer page you can start your Check-In by clicking the "Check" button.