Samsung GS3 keyboard stops working in comment box.

srqtech

20 Apr, 2013 11:55 PM

Since your last app update on my Samsung GS3 (4.1.2), if I try to correct typos in the comments box, I get a system message that the Samsung keyboard has stopped working. The only way to get the keyboard working again is to force stop Untappd and power cycle the phone. This only happens in your app. Can you help?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Greg Avola on 21 Apr, 2013 02:44 PM

Can you provide any screenshots to help us debug this situation?

Thanks,
    Greg

2. 2 Posted by srqtech on 22 Apr, 2013 09:26 PM

Attached is a screen shot showing the error msg when I tried to select a suggested word to correct the spelling of a word in the comments box. After clicking ok, I must power cycle to get my keyboard back.

3. 3 Posted by srqtech on 24 Apr, 2013 11:34 PM

Any update?

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Greg Avola on 24 Apr, 2013 11:48 PM

I can't replicate this error on my S3. Are you using any custom addons or keyboards?

Greg

Sent from my iPhone

5. 5 Posted by srqtech on 25 Apr, 2013 03:13 AM

It is a stock Verizon GS3. The phone originally came with ICS but I upgraded to JB 4.1.2 and then performed a hard reset. All apps were downloaded from the Google Play Store.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Greg Avola on 25 Apr, 2013 03:23 AM

Was the upgrade through verizon, or did you root the device and install it
    yourself?

Thanks,
    Greg

7. 7 Posted by srqtech on 25 Apr, 2013 03:44 AM

Jelly Bean upgrade came from Verizon OTA. No rooting involved. As I said above, after it upgraded, I performed a Hard Reset and then reinstalled my apps from the Google Play Store.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Greg Avola on 25 Apr, 2013 03:57 AM

Very strange - I can't replicate it so I need to get a Verizon S3 (mine is
    AT&T) and see if I can replicate it. Custom Keyboards don't work the best
    with our app, we always recommend standard keyboards or this one:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jellybeankeyboard.f.g&hl=en

9. 9 Posted by srqtech on 25 Apr, 2013 05:41 AM

Don't know what to tell you. I only use the standard KB. I never got this error until your last Untappd app update. That error does not occur in any other app on my phone and I have about 150 apps.

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Greg Avola on 25 Apr, 2013 10:29 AM

Can you try the keyboard that I recommended and see if that works as a
    work-around?

Thanks,
    Greg

11. 11 Posted by srqtech on 25 Apr, 2013 09:32 PM

As you asked, I installed the JellyBean 4.2 keyboard by johntanmi. However, I can't really duplicate the same exact scenario as the Samsung keyboard. My specific error occurs when I go back to correct a typo that is already in the comment box. The Samsung keyboard will present me with word suggestions when I put the cursor in the misspelled word. The keyboard locks when I select one of the suggested words. The JB keyboard only presents words as you type. I also tried the Swype keyboard that comes with the S3 and it behaves just like the JB keyboard.

I really like being able to go back and correct typos, so I want to keep using the Samsung keyboard. Please help.

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Greg Avola on 26 Apr, 2013 03:04 AM

Hi there,

Please take a look at this video I made for you. I have the same device (Samsung Galaxy S3 - running 4.1.x). I can type using the app and make replacements very easily without issue. I assume there is a different build that you got because you are with Verizon. It's definitely strange!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lt03ti8yueoyjq3/Video%20Apr%2025%2C%2010%...

Thanks,
    Greg

13. 13 Posted by srqtech on 26 Apr, 2013 04:47 AM

I clicked on your dropbox link from my PC, but I get the error "can't display http://help.untappd.c".

BTW, all 3 installed keyboards seem to act differently in the Untappd app. Besides the Samsung keyboard "stop working" error, both the JellyBean & Swype keyboards allow word replacements perfectly in text messages, browsers, etc., however, NONE of them allow replacements in the Untappd comment box.

14. 14 Posted by srqtech on 26 Apr, 2013 07:22 PM

I was able to watch your video. The way you corrected the misspelled word (immediately after typing it) works for me, as well. My keyboard error occurs if I type several words (for example, "swr dnt lyke beeer") and then go back and touch one of the words to correct it (say, "swr"). I will get the word suggestions above the keyboard, but if I select one of the words, the screen freezes for a few seconds and then the error message pops up. Can you test your S3 that way and send me a video of the results? Thanks.

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by Greg Avola on 30 Apr, 2013 03:27 PM

HI there,

I don't have the option on my S3 to go back and correct words that are not spelled correctly. It doesn't have a any setting and if I tap them - nothing happens.

Greg

16. 16 Posted by srqtech on 30 Apr, 2013 04:45 PM

Greg,

I'm not sure why you don't have that feature in your Samsung keyboard on your AT&T phone. Perhaps it's a feature specific to Verizon's S3 running Android 4.1.2 with baseband version I535VRBMB1. According to Verizon, that software update improved predictive text in the Samsung keyboard (http://support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/galaxy_s3.pdf).

I've attached a screen shot of my "About Phone" screen. It would really be great if you could get your hand on a Verizon Galaxy S3 with this latest update and test it out.

17. 17 Posted by srqtech on 04 May, 2013 03:58 AM

Have you had a chance to test my problem on a Verizon S3 running the latest updates? Perhaps a Verizon store would let you install Untappd on one long enough to test the keyboard.

18. Support Staff 18 Posted by Greg Avola on 04 May, 2013 11:40 PM

I have not a chance to go to a Verizon store to test this out. I will see what I can do. In the meantime - you can not attempt to touch the auto-corrected words or use the other keyboards. Very sorry for the issue on this one.

Thanks,
    Greg

19. 19 Posted by Bill Mc on 17 May, 2013 04:58 PM

I am having the exact same issue that srqtech reported. Android 4.1.2. Verizon phone. Happens regularly and is really annoying.

20. Support Staff 20 Posted by Greg Avola on 17 May, 2013 05:10 PM

Hey guys,

Can you open up the standard browser (not Chrome), and go to
    http://grega.co/comment.html - can you replicate the functionality there?

Thanks
    Greg

21. 21 Posted by hritt on 19 Jun, 2013 05:32 AM

Same annoying problem on my SG3 From Verizon. I have nothing different or new downloaded on my phone. It's the samsung keyboard. SUUUUPER CRAPPY.

22. 22 Posted by srqtech on 19 Jun, 2013 06:52 AM

Greg,

I'm still having this very annoying problem. Any fix yet?

23. Support Staff 23 Posted by Greg Avola on 19 Jun, 2013 11:10 AM

Hey guys,

I haven't been able to replicate on my AT&T S3. Is it possible to try another keyboard? Perhaps the official Googlr
    One: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin

Thanks,
    Greg

Sent from my iPhone

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac